Thursday, May 20, 2010

Identity

My friend J.C. asked me today “how are things going with your new identity?”

During the first four months of my pregnancy with our second baby, Eli, I spent a fair amount of energy concerned with the impending identity crisis that would inevitably come from having two kids and a Volvo or mini-van. My questions ranged from:

Would I ever read a book again that wasn’t about parenting as a verb? Being home all day, would I eat my own lunch and my kids’ lunch, gain 20lbs. and start watching Ellen on a daily basis? Who would I talk to? What the hell would I do all day (remember: my skill set as a natural domestic goddess leave me with much to be desired)? Do Volvo’s have seat-warmers?

Despite real living examples of many dear friends who are employing various wonderful models of how to make family life meaningful and enjoyable, I found myself writing a story of what life “must” be like for a housewife and stay-at-home Mom – it was a role where I couldn’t imagine being cast – I just couldn’t see myself clearly in it.

Well, two kids later (but no minivan… …yet) I’ve sort of arrived at the moment I feared – the “who am I now?” fork-in-the-road. But…

…it feels different than I expected. It’s scary but not exactly frightening; daunting but not really insurmountable; uncomfortable but…

…profound.

One the plus side…

One piece of this I didn’t realize is the remarkable experience I am having just being a mommy to Gabi (4 ½) and Eli (12 weeks) – I’m falling in love with being a mommy. How deeply grateful I feel to be in the beautiful position of being a mother to two incredible individuals. I find myself enjoying each extraordinary moment getting to be “mommy” most of the time. I enjoy breaks too of course – being a wife, being a sister, a daughter, a friend, a social organizer, a soon-to-be booty camp member, a “Stef” -- but I also especially like simple tasks such as…

…making Gabi’s bed in the morning. It’s as if I discovered a different dimension to myself; sometimes, I feel like I can channel a piece of motherhood bliss from Kanga (Roo’s mama in Winnie-the-Poo). And, the thing is, I never thought of myself this way; but here I am discovering, enjoying, and bathing in it. In the first four year stretch of motherhood when I had just had Gabi, I was working, interning, and still maintaining a decent social life. I don’t intend to give up any of these things forever but I realize sometimes when I am making Gabi an omelet for breakfast or reading a book to Eli, that it’s just sort of nice to do these things without ALSO having to also get transformed into “work” mode.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy my professional identity and challenges, experiences, whatnot…

…I’ve been very fortunate to work for amazing causes, with incredibly inspiriting people – colleagues and clients – but, I am just sayin’ – I used to feel like a was literally juggling all the time, with this impending worried feeling: one wrong move, one hand out of place, and the whole dance is coming down. With one kid and an equal partner in marriage, I managed to keep it going -- but with two – whew – I wasn’t ready to take on that song n dance.

On the minus side…

…so, here I am – making this choice to be home. For now. But, it’s hard mentally. I am driven. I am curious. I am scared. Scared that I may lose the me I know and have worked hard to become. I worry about the future and what will happen if I get too far away from the rest of the working world.

I made this choice because I didn’t want to make decisions about life out of a place of fear. I wanted to make them out of love. From this place of love, I am choosing to be a housewife, a full time mommy - In doing so, I am realizing that something can be right for me but still be uncomfortable. I’m glad I learned this now so that I can teach it to my kids.

Am I alone in this? How do you reconcile these identity issues?

No comments:

Post a Comment